Friday, December 3, 2010

Regarding the Title

There is an idea in psychotherapy called self soothing.  It refers to the actions we take or don't take to sooth ourselves after a difficult or taxing situation.  For example, the last 3 years of my life in Seattle were spent in grad school pursuing a Masters in Counseling Psychology at Mars Hill Graduate School (name will be changing soon).  Throughout those 3 years I had gone through countless hours of lectures, group meetings, personal examination, peer examination, paper writing, note taking et cetra, et cetra, et cetra.  Needless to say there was a ton of self soothing taking place and my self soothing habits have lovelingly been named spreadin peanut butter.  It's that one thing that brings comfort in the midst of crazy and we all have our own prescription.  I have come to recognize that any action which causes my brain to short circuit and remain in a continuous loop of meaningless action (i.e. spreading, stirring, circle drawing, doodling) is my spreadin peanut butter.  So I have decided to try and make blogging my comfort in the midst of crazy.  Life is never what we seem and checking out only leaves you behind.  So here is my attempt actively spread peanut butter for the world to see :)

Examples of my academic peanut butter spreading:)






I did these two doodles during a particularly hard intensive weekend class.  You would have to wonder if I actually learned anything ;)

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha. I love it. If I ever get a tatoo, you'll have to design it. The last 2 doodles are amazing.

    ReplyDelete